[uf-discuss] seeking clarification w/r/to hCard and RFCs 2425/2426

Kevin Marks kmarks at technorati.com
Wed Mar 29 18:42:35 PST 2006

On Mar 27, 2006, at 11:10 PM, C. Hudley wrote:
> Like I said: things like protocols and data formats.  Version and
> revision numbers.  Publication dates.  Specification names and
> standards organization references.  Arbitrary names of
> services-people-deliver that aren't standard in any way.  Some of it
> could fit into hCard but other parts would be an awkward fit at best.
>
> This would be in the context of service discovery: for some resource,
> or for some organizational context, show me a directory of available
> or relevant services.  If you're familiar with OpenURL resolvers, I'm
> thinking of something like their result screens, but bigger, and with
> a usable design and the option to machine-parse reliably.  Which is to
> say, not really like current OpenURL resolver result screens.

Do you mean services and protocols in the computing sense?
If so you should look into the DNS-SD specification for service
discovery, as this is a deployed and working one that builds on DNS.
Not really connected with microformats though.

http://dns-sd.org

(this is part of zeroconf, as popularized by Apple under the names
Rendezvous and Bonjour)