[uf-discuss] seeking clarification w/r/to hCard and RFCs 2425/2426

C. Hudley chudley at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 05:40:05 PST 2006

On 3/29/06, Kevin Marks <kmarks at technorati.com> wrote:

> Do you mean services and protocols in the computing sense?
> If so you should look into the DNS-SD specification for service
> discovery, as this is a deployed and working one that builds on DNS.

That's what I've just been looking at. :)

I'm experimenting with it and trying to determine where a good
hand-off between the zeroconf layer and a web layer might be for
suites of related (but functionally distinct) services mostly
delivered over HTTP.  Since DNS-level record keeping is rather more
heavyweight than registering and updating web resources, I'm thinking
a certain amount of restraint and stability on the DNS[-SD] side and
more flexibility on the web side might be best.

...which led to wondering what the best way to mark up directories of
computing services and protocols in [X]HTML might be.