[uf-discuss] Re: Wiki

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Wed May 3 18:00:30 PDT 2006

On 5/3/06 1:19 PM, "Thibaud Elzière" <telziere at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The url scheme for localized page seems to be : title-language were
> language is the 2 characters language code.

Correct.

> It is used for the Spanish
> translation however "-sp" is used whereas "-es" would have been better
> according to me.

You're right Thibaud and you found an error. Could you fix this on the wiki?

> Except for base pages, I think it is better no to prioritize so that
> people would not be "forced" to  deal with something they are not sure
> about,

Agreed.  Thus we have "stable-pages" and the rest is left up to the
translators.

http://microformats.org/wiki/stable-pages

On 5/3/06 1:16 PM, "Rémi Prévost" <remi at exomel.com> wrote:

> Chris Messina wrote:
>> Two things:
>>
>> Can we add the "how to play" link to the signup/login page?
>>
>> Should we have a url scheme for localized pages? Perhaps a wishlist
>> for prioritizing which pages should be done first?
>>
>> Chris
>
> The current localized url scheme is "pagename" + "-lang". But I think we
> could use a different namespace for every language, like "fr:Main-page"
> instead of "Main-page-fr".

Unless there is a problem with the current method, or a significant
advantage to changing the scheme, or another scheme is more established
(e.g. in Wikipedia[1]), let's stick with the current method.

[1] In Wikipedia they have used the convention of lang.wikipedia.org which
has had the VERY unfortunate side-effect of requiring more than one login
per language that you are editing.  There are some Wikipedians with 100+
logins *just for Wikipedia* because of this problem.  I've spoken with
several Wikipedia folks and they lament having chosen that pattern and would
choose differently if they had the chance to do it over.

Thus when I first established the localization file naming pattern for
microformats, I looked more towards what W3C folks often do, and that is use
a "-lang" suffix on file names.

In general namespaces are more trouble than they are worth[2], and in
particular, AFAIK, Mediawiki namespaces are meant for whole different types
of pages, not for different languages.  When possible, avoid namespaces.