[uf-discuss] Re: Wiki

Rémi Prévost remi at exomel.com
Wed May 3 18:06:32 PDT 2006

Tantek Çelik wrote:
> On 5/3/06 1:19 PM, "Thibaud Elzière" <telziere at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> The url scheme for localized page seems to be : title-language were
>> language is the 2 characters language code.
>
> Correct.
>

>> It is used for the Spanish
>> translation however "-sp" is used whereas "-es" would have been better
>> according to me.
>
> You're right Thibaud and you found an error. Could you fix this on the wiki?
>

>> Except for base pages, I think it is better no to prioritize so that
>> people would not be "forced" to  deal with something they are not sure
>> about,
>
> Agreed.  Thus we have "stable-pages" and the rest is left up to the
> translators.
>
> http://microformats.org/wiki/stable-pages
>

> On 5/3/06 1:16 PM, "Rémi Prévost" <remi at exomel.com> wrote:
>
>> Chris Messina wrote:
>>> Two things:
>>>
>>> Can we add the "how to play" link to the signup/login page?
>>>
>>> Should we have a url scheme for localized pages? Perhaps a wishlist
>>> for prioritizing which pages should be done first?
>>>
>>> Chris
>> The current localized url scheme is "pagename" + "-lang". But I think we
>> could use a different namespace for every language, like "fr:Main-page"
>> instead of "Main-page-fr".
>
> Unless there is a problem with the current method, or a significant
> advantage to changing the scheme, or another scheme is more established
> (e.g. in Wikipedia[1]), let's stick with the current method.
>
> [1] In Wikipedia they have used the convention of lang.wikipedia.org which
> has had the VERY unfortunate side-effect of requiring more than one login
> per language that you are editing.  There are some Wikipedians with 100+
> logins *just for Wikipedia* because of this problem.  I've spoken with
> several Wikipedia folks and they lament having chosen that pattern and would
> choose differently if they had the chance to do it over.
>
> Thus when I first established the localization file naming pattern for
> microformats, I looked more towards what W3C folks often do, and that is use
> a "-lang" suffix on file names.
>
> In general namespaces are more trouble than they are worth[2], and in
> particular, AFAIK, Mediawiki namespaces are meant for whole different types
> of pages, not for different languages.  When possible, avoid namespaces.

> Thanks,
>
> Tantek

OK, I understand. I have another question related to multi-lingual
content. For example, there's a naming convention that says "XMDP
profile pages for microformat specs should be named with the name of the
spec, followed by "-profile"". But in french, profile is "profil",
should those profile pages be named with "-profil-fr" instead of
"-profile-fr". In a wider view, should we translate those words like
"parsing", "profile", "examples" ?

Thank you,

--
Rémi Prévost