[uf-discuss] XMDP inclusions

BigSmoke bigsmoke at gmail.com
Sat May 20 03:56:27 PDT 2006

Is there any progress on (recursively) including XMDP profiles?

From the Wiki I gather:

INCLUDES / AGGREGATE PROFILES [1]
Methods for including one or more values, properties, or an entire
XMDP into an other XMDP as a way of creating an aggregate profile that
effectively contains definitions from multiple profiles would be quite
useful. They would enable documents with microformats to simply refer
to a single profile URL rather than a complete space separated set of
all the profile URLs of the microformats that may be in use.

PROFILES [2]
    * update XMDP with new required features:
          o ability for one profile to include/import another (rel="import" ?)
          o ability to reference an XMDP via rel="profile" (similar to
XHTML2 rel value by same name)
          o ability/suggestion to reference an XMDP using <a href> in
addition to <link>

But, I'm wondering: do we even need anything new? Can the GRDDL
profile, for example, not already be specified in the profile
attribute of a document's XMDP profile?

This requires an example: our document conforms to RDF Site Summaries
[3] and has its profile set to [3].

[3] is an XMDP profile document that has [4] as its profile and with a
profileTransformation rel set up. If [3]'s profileTransformation
applies to our document, doesn't [3]'s data-view profile [4] also
apply to our document?

My question, then, is: is this an exception, or could this simply be
extended to a rule? This rule could say: The profile of our document's
profile also applies to our document. As a side effect, this rule
_might_ obliterate the need for the profileTransformation rel value.

I'm wondering if there's anything that would actually be broken by
adding such a rule to XMDP... There probably is, but I need this idea
to be shot down _properly_ before I can get it out of my head ;-)

[1] http://microformats.org/wiki/xmdp-brainstorming#includes_.2F_aggregate_profiles
[2] http://microformats.org/wiki/to-do#profiles
[3] http://www.w3.org/2000/08/w3c-synd/
[4] http://www.w3.org/2003/g/data-view

Thanks for reading this,

Rowan

--
Morality is usually taught by the immoral.