[uf-discuss] Re: Sanity check on hCard usage

Chris Casciano chris at placenamehere.com
Wed May 24 10:07:44 PDT 2006

On May 24, 2006, at 12:35 PM, Scott Reynen wrote:

> On May 24, 2006, at 11:11 AM, John Panzer wrote:
>
>> Is this useful enough to mark up as an hcard? There's not much you
>> can do with the nickname without more context except display it.
>
> When I get an email or IM from someone I've previously known only as
> nickname on some website, I generally create a new vcard for them so
> I'll know who they are the next time they contact me.  If I already
> had a vcard with their nickname already in it, this would save me one
> step.  I'd say hcards are useful for any person or organization
> someone might conceivably want to contact.  Whether or not that
> usefulness is worth the trouble of marking it up as an hcard will
> depend on your context of course, but it's usually a quick task to add
> a few class names to a dynamic system.
>
> Peace,
> Scott

yes, it very much depends on context.. but it also depends on the
nickname actually being used.

Could be useful...

Probably not useful...

All of the above could be pulling form the same field (e.g. wordpress
user or commenter nick) but they vary quite a bit in usefulness on
extraction

--
[ Chris Casciano ]
[ chris at placenamehere.com ] [ http://placenamehere.com ]