[uf-discuss] Addressing bits of information

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Thu May 25 06:55:25 PDT 2006

On May 25, 2006, at 3:04 AM, Chris Messina wrote:

> how do we create URIs for partial bits of data like a word
> or hcard in the middle of a paragraph?
>
> http://www.eekim.com/blog/tech/hyperscope/hyperscopeuri.html

I'm not sure that's really the question being asked by Eugene.  It
sounds like the addressing of HyperScope goes beyond specific fragments:

"It can do path expressions, similar in spirit to XPath, which allows
you to reference some subset of nodes in a document."

This sounds to me like, e.g., a URI that references all the TEL
elements in a document, and only those elements, so the client can
read the URI, load the document, and strip it down to the specified
nodes.  So the question being asked is whether this would be better
as http://domain.org/?hyperscope=class:tel or http://domain.org/
#hyperscope:class-tel or something else.

Peace,
Scott