[uf-discuss] vote-for

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Wed Nov 1 09:52:56 PST 2006

On Nov 1, 2006, at 11:15 AM, Siegfried Gipp wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 1. November 2006 17:16 schrieb David Osolkowski:
>> You can't use vote-for for this, because vote-for already has defined
>> semantics; it represents a vote that has been cast, not the
>> ability to
>> cast a vote.  It's already possible to use vote-for in both rel and
>> rev; one indicates that the current page is a vote for the link
> No, rel is explicitely excluded. And exactly that is what i don't
> think of
> beeing adequate. If there already exists a good semantic for
> rel="vote-for",
> that's just fine.

rel="vote-for", by the definition in the HTML spec, can only mean the
reverse of what rev="vote-for" means.  It can't mean anything else.
There is already an established meaning for rev="vote-for", and the
reverse of that doesn't really communicate anything useful.  There's
an explanation of this here:

<http://microformats.org/wiki/RelFAQ#Is.
2FWas_VoteLinks_a_proper_use_of_rel.3F>

>> On page A: <a href="pageB" rel="poll">The page being voted on</a>
>> On page B: <a href="pageA" rev="poll">Vote for this page here</a>
>
> What about <a href="javascript:somevotingfunction()" rel="vote-

I believe that means the page containing this link is voting for a
JavaScript function.  Probably not what you want to communicate.

Peace,
Scott