starting a brainstorming page - Re: [uf-discuss] Re: Actions

Justin Thorp juth at loc.gov
Wed Nov 1 13:57:03 PST 2006

I am busy until later this evening but I would be happy to take a first pass at a todo microformat brainstorming page, unless you want to.

Cheers,
Justin

******************
Justin Thorp
Web Services - Office of Strategic Initiatives
Library of Congress
e - juth at loc.gov
p - 202/707-9541

>>> cayle.graumann at gmail.com 11/01/06 4:32 PM >>>
Interesting discussion here.  I was thinking about todo lists and
calendar events myself as I'm trying to figure out how to markup
project management data using microformats on the web that could be
automatically scraped to generate Gantt chart-like output, as well as
potentially being pulled into a program on a PDA.

On 11/1/06, Rob O'Rourke <rob at sanchothefat.com> wrote:

> Justin Thorp wrote:
> > Why does an action or todo microformat have to be something that you do on the page?   Maybe I want to pull the ToDo out of the page and put it on my 30Boxes ToDo list or Outlook or something.
> >

> It doesn't, you're right but I was ignoring the to-do idea when I
> replied, I was referring to the actions you can carry out with a
> microformatted page like exporting the uF or emailing someone, I just
> misunderstood.
>
> > You should be able to nest an hCard inside of a ToDo.
> >
> > I can see this type of microformat being helpful in a situation where I have information for a rock concert but I have to buy the tickets for the rock concert.
> >
> > So while the event information is marked up in an hCalendar that I can download, there is also a ToDo marked up that tells me to buy a ticket and where I can buy it.  I could grab this info and import into my ToDo list.
> >

> Would these todo 'actions' be marked up within the event to give them a
> deadline? or a completely separate list that has its own time-frame (or
> none at all) and perhaps uses something like .include to refer to the
> event in question?

In my case, I have a series of calendar events that lead up to the
completion of one TODO item, but I could see where you might have a
list of TODO items that need to be completed at one calendar event
also.

> > Cheers,
> > Justin Thorp

Cayle