[uf-discuss] class="url"?

Ben Ward lists at ben-ward.co.uk
Tue Nov 7 10:00:07 PST 2006

On 7 Nov 2006, at 17:39, Tantek Çelik wrote:
>> So if to apply the class="url" to one of them,
>> this means selecting that very special url to be the url for the
>> VCARD URL
>
> Applying class="url" means selecting that "very special" URL to be
> *a* URL
> for the hCard.
>
> Please re-read what I wrote above.  *A* URL.  There is no assertion of
> uniqueness ("the").

Indeed. Siegfried, note that many address book applications (and some
Microformats parsers) do allow multiple URLs in a VCard. In such a
case, ALL those URLs in the hCard mark-up will have @class*=url.

>> then this microformats word "url" does not have
>> exactly the same semantics as the word "url" defined by the w3c.
>
> No, the microformat class name "url" has the semantics of the "url"
> property
> as defined in vCard and iCalendar.  See the hCard profile which
> defines the
> class name "url": http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard-profile

I must concede, I find this part of the discussion very confusing. As
best I can tell, we're discussion two completely different contexts
of the word 'URL' here. One is the definition and specification of
URLs is, the other is the use of the word URL to relate a URL
contained in the @href attribute, to a defined property.

I don't see why the definition of one should be expected to affect
the definition the other?

Ben