[uf-discuss] hCite progress

Bruce D'Arcus bdarcus.lists at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 12:06:51 PST 2006

On 11/13/06, Andy Mabbett <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:
> In message
> <cd2b26c60611131035n600d1ad0uf51758cc3deb3335 at mail.gmail.com>, Bruce
> D'Arcus <bdarcus.lists at gmail.com> writes
>
> >Pages to indicate the length of a book should be beyond scope. It's
> >not relevant to citations.
>
> I disagree, not least because people often cite a whole book, rather
> than part of it.

Which is exactly why the length of the book is irrelevant. The only
time you include pages in a citation is if you are referring to a
section within a book (typically a chapter), and the purpose there is
simply to help you find it. Page count does nothing to help you with
that, and for that reason they are never included in citations in my
experience.

Page count is only relevant to publishers and book stores (maybe).

> >For the best balance of simplicity and generality, I'd suggest just
> >"pages." Don't worry about start and end because, as you noted, pages
> >can be discontinuous.
>
> But what about inter-operability with other standards?

Which ones? There is no standard way to do this; some use start/end
and others a single property.

Bruce