[uf-discuss] hCite progress

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Tue Nov 14 12:04:38 PST 2006

On Nov 14, 2006, at 1:16 PM, Jeremy Boggs wrote:

> On Nov 14, 2006, at 12:36 PM, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
>
>> But it's still a fairly narrow kind of use case.
>
> I agree that its a narrow kind of use case, but book reviews are
> very common, and the structure of a book review is fairly
> standardized.

I'd say it's not a use case at all, as no on has really described how
this markup would be used by parsing applications.  I've only seen
pointers to where it is published.  Plain HTML handles the publishing
use case just fine, so that's not really a use case for additional
microformat markup.

> Every book review that I've read has included the page count.
> Granted, I would need to do more research about this to make a more
> substantiated claim; I'm only familiar with arts/humanities
> reviews, specifically history books in academic journals.
>
> So, if page count is out of the scope of hCite, and if it turns out
> (from my observation about media-info) that it doesn't fit into the
> media-info format, would page count just not be marked up at all?

What exactly would we gain from this markup in terms of functionality?

> So, if I'm reviewing a book and want to include the bibliographic
> information of the book wtih hCite, I would just not mark up page
> count with any semantic meaning?

If it's in a review and it's describing the item you're reviewing,
I'd say it belongs in hReview's description field.  If there is a
need to describe page count more specifically, I'm still not clear
what it is.  Searching books by page count?

Peace,
Scott