[uf-discuss] Mailing list debate moved & new proposal

Tim Hodson hodson.tim at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 28 02:04:25 PST 2006

I'm someone who signed up to this list yesterday as a newbie. I would
rather have one list to look through, I can easily sift entries that
are not relevant to me, but the sifting process also raises my
awareness of topics and nuances of debate within the community.  I do
not want to be subscribing to every new list that comes along on the
off chance that there might be something useful there.

Cheers,
Tim
=======================
http://timhodson.com
http://informationtakesover.co.uk

On 28/11/06, Ben Buchanan <microformats at 200ok.com.au> wrote:
> > >I'd expect that if someone was keen enough to be joining this list
> > >they could probably pick up the concept pretty quickly.
> > It's the people who are *not* keen enough to be joining this list who we
> > need to consider.
>
> I'm not totally convinced about that ;) It's hard enough for keen
> people to find the time to work on uf stuff.
>
> > My original comment was:
> >         For example, several academic and professional taxonomists have
> >         told me in e-mail that they would be interested in the species
> >         proposal, (and one astronomer, likewise, for mars/ luna), but do
> >         not have the time to follow a general mailing list; indeed, a
> >         couple asked me specifically if I would set up a separate
> >         mailing list for the subject.
>
> I wouldn't bet on academics contributing even if you do bend over
> backwards to accommodate them*. If they're saying they're too busy to
> read this list, then they could easily be too busy to contribute to
> any list.
>
> That said, if a particular topic has several people expressing
> interest; I guess what's the harm in setting up the list as a trial?
> See if anyone other than those few people subscribe, as well as see
> how the discussion goes. It might be an excellent result.
>
> cheers,
>
> Ben
>

> [*] Perhaps I'm just cynical from spending the last six years in
> higher education ;)
>
> --
> --- <http://www.200ok.com.au/>
> --- The future has arrived; it's just not
> --- evenly distributed. - William Gibson

Tim Hodson
informationtakesover.co.uk
www.timhodson.co.uk