[uf-discuss] Best Practice for wrapping hCard information with geo, for display on Google Earth?

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Thu Nov 30 10:51:19 PST 2006

In message <B8415163A689094689542C617ECA03660133BE45 at IMCSRV5.MITRE.ORG>,
"Costello, Roger L." <costello at mitre.org> writes

>I am when using Brian Suda's xhtml2kml.xsl tool to create a KML file
>from an hCard.  Then I display the KML on Google Earth.
>
>What is the best practice for wrapping hCard data with geo, which will
>result in the most informative rendering on Google Earth?  Let me
>explain what I mean.

As a general point of principle,; I suggest you use the best, most
meaningful, markup, and not try to tailor it to the idiosyncrasies of a
particular tool. If a tool is not giving the optimum output, write to
its author and ask them to consider changing the way it works.

>Consider this hCard:

>            <abbr class="region" title="New York">NY</abbr>
>
>The lat/lon coordinates of the Waldorf-Astoria are:
>
>     Latitude: 40.756561  /  Longitude: -73.974056

I feel the only thing there which might equate to an abbreviation, for
which the coordinates are the full form, is the postal (Zip) code.

--
Andy Mabbett
                Say "NO!" to compulsory ID Cards:  <http://www.no2id.net/>

                Free Our Data:  <http://www.freeourdata.org.uk>