[uf-discuss] geo - accuracy of coordinates

Lachlan Hunt lachlan.hunt at lachy.id.au
Mon Oct 2 18:24:01 PDT 2006

Andy Mabbett wrote:
> In message <A919CF31-0EDC-4BB2-85B5-8BEC6CC7011F at lava.net>, Colin
> Barrett <timber at lava.net> writes
>
>>> Or the capacity to describe a polygon...
>> I call the 80/20 rule into effect here.
>
> Fine, I'm confident that more than 80% of countries, counties, towns,
> cities, gardens, parks, nature reserves, and industrial estates are
> polygons, and fewer than 20% are circles.

You really missed the point.  Think about it like this.  If you were to
pick up a map and point out roughly where you took some photo of your
kids in a park (or whatever) and you wanted to pick up a pen and mark
the location, you're not going to sit there and carefully outline the
polygon shape of the park, you're going to draw something like an X or a
circle to show the rough location.  That's the concept that this thread
is discussing.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/