[uf-discuss] Re: Currency + Unit of measurement (Was: Currency+Product)

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Tue Oct 3 05:14:36 PDT 2006

On Oct 3, 2006, at 4:16 AM, Ciaran McNulty wrote:

> I think it's fairly clear that $ is a unit of currency, 'barrel' is a
> measure of volume, and $/barrel is a measure of currency/volume in its
> own right, similar to other composite measures like m.p.h.

Sure we can conceptualize it like that, but if no one is publishing
it like that, how will we microformat it?  I've never seen "$/barrel"
on the web, so this looks like an edge case to me.  I have seen "$__
per barrel", and that splits the unit of currency and the unit of
measuring the product, just like "$__ per share" (implied 1 unit) or
"$__ for 2 widgets".  It looks to me like splitting up the unit of
currency and the unit of measuring the referenced product would cover
80% of real world examples, so I'm not seeing the value in exploring
the edge case where the two are combined.  If it's clear that my
product is a barrel of oil (which hListing can make clear) and my
currency is US dollars (which a simpler currency microformat can make
clear), why can't we leave it to a computer to figure out how to most
usefully combine those two pieces of information?

Peace,
Scott