[uf-discuss] Re: Currency + Unit of measurement (Was: Currency+Product)

Guillaume Lebleu gl at brixlogic.com
Tue Oct 3 14:08:08 PDT 2006

Colin wrote:
> This proposal is shaping up nicely. Could you think of other "client"
> uses for just the measurement format? Already described in this thread
> were some excellent uses for measurement + currency (e.g. searching
> job listings).
Thanks Colin. For just the measurement format, of course automatic
localization based on a browser preference, but I imagine you already
thought about this one.
> Also, I'm curious to know your thoughts on how this would tie in to
> the proposed historical uF. Would the entire currency+measure get
> wrapped in a history? That doesn't seem entirely necessary: the size
> of a barrel of oil doesn't change (right?). Only the $ currency
> fluctuates.
In my adaptation of XBRL currency semantics to uF, I have explored the
use of empty anchors as references to global definitions of units
instead of redundant local definitions, but I haven't got any feedback
from the community on this yet. See
http://microformats.org/wiki/currency-formats#XBRL

This is not just relevant for the history uF but also for any tabular
representation (ex. financial statements) where you don't want to repeat
the unit/currency in each cell. See
http://microformats.org/wiki/currency-examples#Use_of_currency_amounts_in_tables

Guillaume