Links to public web pages, either popular or insightful
Use of currency amounts in tables.
Representing currency amounts in a table format is very common. For instance, see Google Financials.
In this table representation, it does not make sense to provide the currency information for each cell. Instead, it should be provided once at the table, thead, tr, or th, level, and then a td may override the default value. This is very similar to the common practice of indicating the currency and formatting in plain english: "Numbers in thousands of dollars" in the table title/subtitle or legend.
The microformat for currency amounts should provide a way to represent a default currency for all children of a table, thead, tr, or th nodes. The currency symbol/abbreviation should be optional in for elements defined as containing currency values/amounts, if a default currency has been defined in one of the ancestor elements.
UK Government Data Standards Catalogue
The associated XML Schema seems to suggest an Amount element, followed by a fixed Currency element of "GBP".
2.1 US cents/2.4 CAN cents per minute(on the Web page)
¢2.1 USD (or ¢2.4 CAD) per minute.(in the announcement email)
See also measure
MIT Enterprise Forum
$1 million in equity
$2.50 a share
See also measure
Energy Information Administration
23 cents per barrel
Also in this page:
(U.S. Cents per Gallon)
(Euros per Thousand Liters)
(U.S. Dollars per Gallon)
See also measure
$63.94 US per barrel, up $1.63 US
The current price of a stock:
eBay marks prices as "ebcPr". eBay c? Price.
<td class="ebcPr"><span class="bold">$11.70</span><br/><span>$12.95</span><br/></td>
Google Web Authoring Statistics
Google Web Authoring Statistics - indirect example.
The Google Web Authoring Statistics mentions that "price" is the 40th most used class name.
<span class="price">$39.99 <span class="currency">(USD)</span></span>
Amazon Product listing
Bell Canada in French Canadian
<b>Niveau de service Premium - 125 $*</b>
Note the placement of the dollar sign AFTER the number.
Bell Canada in US English
<b>Premium Service Level - $125*</b>
- West Midland Bird Club:
- West Midland Bird Club Bibliography (Published prices of old books)
- West Midland Bird Club CD-ROM review (price at time of review; since reduced)
- Silver Jubilee (1954) - prices in text ("five shilling subscriptions", "10/-") shown in footnotes as "1 shilling = 5p" and "10/- = 10 shillings (50p)" respectively.
- Wikipedia: Bleak House
- "Like most Dickens novels, Bleak House was published in 19 monthly instalments, each containing 32 pages of text and two illustrations by Phiz. Each cost one shilling, except for the last, which was a double issue and cost two." Dates in the subsequent table range monthly from March 1852 - September 1853
- Wikpedia: 1922 in Germany
- "Despite the ending of cash payments for the rest of 1922, the main cause of Germany's inability to pay, the steady depreciation of the mark, was ongoing. Towards the end of the year it assumed a disastrous rapidity. On August 1, the US Dollar still stood at 643 Marks to the Dollar and the British Pound at 2,850 Marks to the Pound. But on September 5 the dollar had already risen to 1,440 Marks and the pound to 6,525 Marks, and in December the pound was worth between 30,000 and 40,000 marks and the dollar between 7,000 and 9,000."
- BBC News story dated 2 January, 2001
- "A barrel of Brent crude for February delivery came within range of $25 a barrel on Tuesday before slipping to $24.35, a closing price 48 cents above Friday's closing price of $23.87. In New York, the price of Nymex (New York Merchantile Exchange) crude reached $27.40 a barrel before settling at $27.40, a gain of 41 cents or 1.5% on the day. Nymex oil prices in 2000 averaged $30.20 a barrel, the highest level since 1983, and well above the 1999 average of $19.25. Traders also saw support for the oil price from the Opec basket of seven crude oils which stood at $21.75 a barrell on 29 December 2000. That was the seventh day the price stayed below a preferred range of $22-$28 a barrell. Under an Opec price stability measure, output will be cut by 500,000 barrels a day if the basket price stay below $22 for more than 10 days."
- BBC News story dated 5 September, 2000
- "The Millennium Commission's decision to grant an extra £47m to the Dome has been widely condemned by MPs on various political hues."
- Jamaica and the Great War
- "in 1917 [...] unemployment was high and wages were low - men received 9 pence a day to cut cane."
- Money and Coinage in Victorian Britain
- Macaulay on the State of England in 1685
- "In 1661 the justices at Chelmsford had fixed the wages of the Essex labourer, who was not boarded, at six shillings in winter and seven in summer."
- BBC - WW2 People's War
- "I left [school] at Easter 1938. As soon as I had left school, my Father insisted that I went to work for my Uncle. My wages were 5 shillings per week plus board & lodgings"
- Relative Value of Sums of Money
- How Much Is That? (set of calculators)
- ... ?
Note: the current bug list illustrates some problems of identifying currencies based on page content alone:
- All $ symbols are treated as USD Very annoying if you are Australian, Canadian etc. (Needs a new feature)
- ‘Euro 2006 Championship’ should not be converted.
- Don’t convert CVS keywords . $Revision: 1.3 $ should not be treated as dollars.
- Google code - classes - discussion of
class="price"(the 40th most used class on the web) and the case for attributes for unambiguous specification of currency (see final paragraph).
- PACIFIC Exchange Rate Service - dynamic tables of historic currency conversion rates