Software Projects Description Re: [uf-discuss] Potential Microformats

Danny Ayers danny.ayers at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 12:29:32 PDT 2006

On 05/10/06, Tantek Çelik <tantek at cs.stanford.edu> wrote:

> > I didn't follow microformats.org process, though I do believe some of
> > the key prerequisites have been fulfilled.
>
> This is the key.  Just taking an existing format and translating them to
> class names is not enough - as the folks working on citations will tell you.

Hmm, nitpick, DOAP is more about domain model, independent of format.

I take your point about process, but then on the other hand Edd's
already done a pretty good description of the general problem [1],
existing formats [2] and modelling [3]. There are plenty of examples
in Apache [4], CodeZoo [5] and SWIK [6], there's even a continuous
stream of them at [7]. I can't help thinking any attempt at a software
project description microformat following the process to the letter
would mean significant duplication of Edd's work.

Whatever, there should be significant benefit in lowering the barrier
to publishing this kind of material  - if only to provide Technorati
with an extra search facility ;-)

Cheers,
Danny.

[1] http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-osproj.html