[uf-discuss] Potential accessibility spin-off from hCard

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Fri Oct 6 10:56:11 PDT 2006

On an accessibility mailing list, someone asked:

        >Is there a way to make the screen reader know that a number is
        >a phone number or street address so it reads 2-9-1-6 instead of
        >2,916?

To which I have replied (in part):

        You can mark up a phone number (indeed, a whole address) using
        semantic hCard microformat markup:

                <http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard>

        Hopefully, in time, the authors of screen readers and similar
        software will include recognition of that standard.

which seem to me to be an unexpected benefit of uFs - increased
accessibility.

Does anyone have contacts in the screen-reader-authoring world, with
whom this could be raised?

Perhaps we need a "microformats-evangelism" group, or resource (like a
Wiki page)?
--
Andy Mabbett
                Say "NO!" to compulsory ID Cards:  <http://www.no2id.net/>