[uf-discuss] Potential accessibility spin-off from hCard

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Sat Oct 7 12:26:08 PDT 2006

You are absolutely right. Adding additional semantics can help all
sorts of non-standard browsers and agents.

CSS does have an aural style sheet type[1]. This is ment for
screen-readers. I'm not sure if anyone actually honors them. In many
ways a designer with visual capabilities forcing how a page SOUNDS is
no different than imposing fix font-sizes to a visual user. So this
might not actually work, but CSS does offer a SPEAK: spell-out. This
should spell-out a phone number instead of trying to pronounce it as a
number.

.tel .value {
speak: spell-out
}

-brian

[1] - http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/aural.html#speaking-props

On 10/6/06, Andy Mabbett <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:

> On an accessibility mailing list, someone asked:
>
>         >Is there a way to make the screen reader know that a number is
>         >a phone number or street address so it reads 2-9-1-6 instead of
>         >2,916?
>
> To which I have replied (in part):
>
>         You can mark up a phone number (indeed, a whole address) using
>         semantic hCard microformat markup:
>
>                 <http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard>
>
>         Hopefully, in time, the authors of screen readers and similar
>         software will include recognition of that standard.
>

> which seem to me to be an unexpected benefit of uFs - increased
> accessibility.
>
> Does anyone have contacts in the screen-reader-authoring world, with
> whom this could be raised?
>
> Perhaps we need a "microformats-evangelism" group, or resource (like a
> Wiki page)?
> --
> Andy Mabbett
>                 Say "NO!" to compulsory ID Cards:  <http://www.no2id.net/>