[uf-discuss] new standard for product information

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 13:42:33 PDT 2006

Ted:

I don’t see where the standard was described in the article. I did a web
search and couldn't find anything on it.  Do you have more info?

It could well to too complicated for microformats as they mention "There are
50 to 100 pieces of information that the search engines want."  If too
complicated, it might not get used ubiquitiously and might be like RDF vs.
RSS (RDF is a great standard, but complexity deters broad deployment when
compared to a simple RSS.)

-Mike Schinkel
President; Guides, Inc.
http://www.guidesinc.com
http://www.mikeschinkel.com/blog
http://www.welldesignedurls.org/
P.S. One of the reasons I joined the list is I would like to propose a
simple microformat for product info.  I ran an Internet retailer for 12
years that started out as a catalog retailer and reached Inc 500 status in
1999. So I know a bit about this area. ;)  But as I said earlier today when
I introduced myself, I wanted to sit back for a bit and sink in the culture
of the list before I started proposing things and wasting everyone's time.