[uf-discuss] ANN: The Purpose of Microformats

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 18:44:35 PDT 2006

Roger:

Nit: "Semantic Hooks" mentions "class, rel, and rev" but not "title."

Next, my first thought was I found the beginning confusing. The first slide
I read is "Purpose of Microformats" and the second is (X)HTML. As I read the
second (and third) I'm trying to figure out where the microformat examples
are. I guess I was expecting and introductory statement about the purpose
and then an overview of what your are going to tell explain. You know, the
old "Tell 'em what you're going to tell 'em, then tell 'em, then tell 'em
what you said."

I understand why you are giving background on XHTML, but for someone who
doesn't already understand the subject I think the current organization
could be very disorienting.

That said, I started jotting down notes until I had completely restructured
your presentation (based on my 7+ years experience in developing programming
courseware and delivering those courses.) I'll include my note below my
signature, but please accept them as merely suggestions to consider and, as
I have no price of authorship, feel free to incorporate or discard any of my
suggestions. Also please note, I didn't flesh everything out, so if you do
incorporate a significant number of my suggestions you'll certainly need to
rework some of it as I didn't flesh it out exhaustively, and in two case I
left "to be written" with notes.

JMTCW.

-Mike Schinkel
http://www.mikeschinkel.com/blog
http://www.welldesignedurls.org/

=================================
* Title Slide

* Purpose of Microformats
-- The purpose of microformats is to enrich the semantics of web Pages

* To be covered
-- What Problem do Microformats Solve? -> See "USe-cases for Microformats"
below, To be written
-- Background: Let's Define "Web Pages" -> Use (X)HTML page, Browser
Rendering, (X)Html Semantics
-- Goals and Constraints Chosen for Microformats
	-> Use "Microformat Goals" (See below, to be written)
	-> "These Constraints are Sacred" (from below)
-- Example Microformat -> Use existing
-- Benefits -> Use Aggregating Microformats, Other?
-- Summary -> Use (edited version of) "Purpose of Microformats (Revised)"
-- Brilliance of Microformats -> Use existing

* Use-cases for Microformats
-- (I don't think I've an explicit list mentioned anywhere yet)
-- (If would be good to get a common set of use-cases to help everyone
target the same outcomes)

* Microformat Goals
-- (This I know instintively but can't put into words in the context of
"goals."
-- (Nothing I could find on Microformats.org is explicit in defining
"goals")
-- (If would be good if there were a consensus, or at least if we were all
aware.)

* These Constraints were considered Sacred:
-- No Update to existing Browsers Required
	-> Use "No New Markup" (Change "Markup" to "(X)HTML Tags" and add
"Required")
	-> Use "Semantic Hooks", rename to "Enhancing Semantics using
Existing (X)HTML Tags"
	-> Use "Many Ways to Mark Up Information", rename to "Any Element
can be Described"
-- No Impact to Presentation -> Use existing slide
-- Controlled process to eliminate Chaos -> Use "Standardized Class Values"