[uf-discuss] Size considerations

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 16:34:27 PDT 2006

>> A. You probably won't notice any impact on page size when authoring with
microformats.

In many cases, I agree.  But let's look at some of the proposals for money
(forgive me if my example is not exactly what was proposed, but it should be
equivalent in # of characters used). The following is 6 characters:

	$54.97

This is 151 characters (according to MS-Word's stats dialog):

		<abbr class="currency" title="USD">
		</abbr>

So let's think about a price matrix with 10 columns and 100 rows.  Without
markup it would be 6000 bytes or 5.85Kb just for the 1000 prices.  With
markup it would be 151,000 bytes, or 147.5Kb just for the prices. That's a
huge difference and is pretty significant, especially when you consider that
it is not unlikely to have many prices on a single page and a matrix of
10x100 is not unrealistic.  For those concerned about SEO, Google evidently
likes pages to be less than 101kb[1]. This could keep SEO concerned people
from using the money microformat, for example.

I guess what I'm saying is I think we need to consider each microformat
individually and also consider the likely use-cases (though we can never be
sure.)  If a microformat is by definition only going to be used once on a
page, it can be as damn big as it want's to be.  But if there could be
thousands on a page, we should really be careful when adding too much
markup.  IMHO anyway. :)

-Mike
P.S. This example may argue for putting a page-global currency spec back
into the planned microformat, even though not that many people voted on
it...

[1] http://www.morearnings.com/2006/03/26/page-size-and-keyword-density/