[uf-discuss] Size considerations

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Wed Oct 18 16:52:28 PDT 2006

On Oct 18, 2006, at 6:34 PM, Mike Schinkel wrote:

> The following is 6 characters:
>
> 	$54.97
>
> This is 151 characters (according to MS-Word's stats dialog):

> 		<abbr class="currency" title="USD">
> 		</abbr>
>
> So let's think about a price matrix with 10 columns and 100 rows.
> Without
> markup it would be 6000 bytes or 5.85Kb just for the 1000 prices.
> With
> markup it would be 151,000 bytes, or 147.5Kb just for the prices.

Who is publishing 10 columns and 100 rows of prices or something
similar?  It would be helpful to look at some real-world markup so we
can come up with practical ways to address this concern.  If it's in
rows and columns, I would assume each price to be in a <td>, so <span
class="money"> becomes just <td class="money">, removing 14
characters by my count.  But it's hard to know if this is a realistic
assumption when we're dealing with hypothetical markup.

Peace,
Scott