[uf-discuss] Size considerations

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Wed Oct 18 18:09:26 PDT 2006

In message <F9E8EA91-E8FD-42F4-BB19-9FAF126D829F at randomchaos.com>, Scott
Reynen <scott at randomchaos.com> writes

>On Oct 18, 2006, at 7:16 PM, Andy Mabbett wrote:
>
>> Scott Reynen <scott at randomchaos.com> writes
>>
>>> It would be helpful to look at some real-world markup so we  can come
>>> up with practical ways to address this concern.
>>
>> I've just posted real markup on the Wiki
>
>I should have been more clear.  I'd like to see real-world markup via
>email where this discussion is currently taking place, so we can
>analyze the markup and come up with practical advice to offer in the
>FAQ.

OK:

        (reformatted for clarity)

        <th scope="row">Friday 3<br>
        7:30–9:30pm
        </th>

        <abbr class="wmbc" title="West Midland Bird Club">WMBC</abbr>
           title="Solihull Branch indoor meetings"

        Solihull Branch indoor meeting
        </a>.

        Solihull B91 1SB (SP142790).

vs:

        <th scope="row">Friday 3<br>
        <abbr class="dtstart" title="2006-11-03T19:30:00+00:00">
           7:30
        </abbr>
        –
        <abbr class="dtend" title="2006-11-03T21:30:00+00:00">
           9:30
        </abbr>
        pm
        </th>

        <abbr class="wmbc"
                title="West Midland Bird Club">WMBC
        </abbr>
        <a class="url" href="../solihull/indoor.htm"
           title="Solihull Branch indoor meetings">
           Solihull Branch indoor meeting
        </a>
        .

        (
        <abbr class="geo" title="52.4095; -1.7921">
           SP142790
        </abbr>
        ).

           Steve Smith: The Farne Islands and the Bass Rock.

That's 399 characters increased to 860 (excluding indentation); over
double.

>  The FAQ exists to help people solve problems, not to confirm  that
>their problems are indeed problems.

There was me, thinking that it existed to answer their questions,
honestly.

Who says the extra markup is a problem? I didn't.

>  I think Mike's done a good  job of exploring solutions to the problem
>of verbose markup, but so  far we're lacking real-world markup in this
>(email) discussion.

No longer.

>  If  we can provide some real-world markup examples here, and apply
>some  of the ideas Mike introduced, I think that would move the
>discussion  forward toward something that would be appropriate to add
>to the FAQ  in the wiki.

I'll look forward to seeing somebody reinstate my example, then.

--
Andy Mabbett
                Say "NO!" to compulsory ID Cards:  <http://www.no2id.net/>

                Free Our Data:  <http://www.freeourdata.org.uk>