[uf-discuss] First version of Currency proposal

Ciaran McNulty mail at ciaranmcnulty.com
Fri Oct 20 00:59:19 PDT 2006

On 10/20/06, Emiliano Martinez Luque <martinezluque at gmail.com> wrote:

> That example in particular might not be a problem but consider the following:

> In the US that will mean one dollar, in Argentina (where I'm from) it
> will mean a thousand dollars. And tying this to the currency
> identification (even though the first 2 letters represent a country)
> will not solve the issue, since I should be able to markup values in
> different currencies within a single web page. I do agree though that
> there should be some sort of optimization.

Actually it's 1000 in America too ;-)  There are plenty of other
countries where your assertion is true, though.

However I'm not convinced that the problem of number-parsing needs to
be solved in a microformat.  The @lang attribute already exists in
HTML and should indicate which locale numeric values are being written
in.  This would then hopefully also cover more complex cases like
figures written in Japanese etc.

-Ciaran McNulty