[uf-discuss] Size considerations (or how to choose abbreviations)

Charles Roper charles.roper at gmail.com
Sat Oct 21 09:37:03 PDT 2006

On 21/10/06, Andy Mabbett <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:
> >> And yet we have "geo".
> >
> >I think comparing geo and sci, etc. is not a great example as I think
> >geo can be thought of as a well known abbreviation.
>
> Yes, it clearly identifies rocks, to geologists ;-)
>
> But seriously, do you really think it's well known, outside of the "web
> 2.0" community?

I might poll some people round the office (where most people's
primiary interests biology, conservation and ecology) and see what
they think. I'm going to make a guess that they'll say "geography" or
"geographical".

> >As microformats are human-readable first I think size is a secondary
> >consideration.
>
> I don't think the intention is that the raw markup of a uF be
> "human-readable first".

This is a good point; what, exactly, should be "human readable first?"
I always assumed it was the rendered output of the HTML, rather than
the markup itself. Is this correct?

Charles