[uf-discuss] species questions; process: examples questions

Benjamin West bewest at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 11:15:24 PDT 2006

> Andy, I don't want to get in the middle of a disagreement, but I think
> that part of Ben's issue is that the terms you're asking about are
> fairly self explanatory, or at least appear to be to him.

You aren't in the middle. I'm deliberately stepping back so that
others can comment.  This is a sanity check for me.  Do I know what
what authoring practices are?  I thought I did, and it seems to me
that this meaning is shared with others in the community.  A good test
if to step back and find out if other people resonate with what I'm
thinking or not.

> "Authoring practices" are the current practices and conventions used
> by people authoring content.
> "The structure of the markup" is the syntactic structure of pages
> marked up with (X)HTML.

Right, but this uses the term in the definiton.  In another thread,
"metadata" and the scope of microformats are also being called into
question.

I suppose this is a good thing, since it will force us to say what we
mean instead of implying it.  I'm not interested in writing
dictionaries though, so perhaps this work is best left to those more
patient than I.

Thanks,
Ben