[uf-discuss] Value subproperty - only applies to non-structuredproperties, right?

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Mon Oct 30 12:22:40 PST 2006

In the future, please use the microformats-dev list for discussions
of parsing implementations. That's what it's there for. Thanks.

On Oct 29, 2006, at 7:10 AM, Costello, Roger L. wrote:

> Thanks Brian!
>
> The example you gave:

>         will be our speaker.  Mr.
>
> raises a question - does the "value" subproperty (in this example)
> apply to "n" or "fn" or both?  The "value" subproperty doesn't seem to
> have any meaning for "n" in this example.

Brian, I think your example actually proves Roger's point.
The .values's only apply to FN, not to N. I'm having trouble
imagining a situation where you'd use the value-excerption on a
structured element. It only seems to make sense on elements that only
take a simple value.

If you'll think of the structure of a microformat as a tree, it's
only the leaves that take value excerpting. This could be a bit
challenging, because there are elements in hCard that can be either a
leaf or have children (like AGENT and ATTENDEE). I'm sure we can
figure out how to deal with these, though.

> How does a tool know when a "value" subproperty applies to one
> property, but not another?
>
> It seems like there may be cases where it could be difficult to know
> what property the "value" subproperty is applying to.

If you can develop specific cases, I'll add them to our test suite.

-ryan