[uf-discuss] Re: Flock + Microformats

Chris Messina chris.messina at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 18:37:57 PDT 2006

The format should fit the task and I don't disagree that you can't
have internal relational datastores as well.

At the same time, I had this fight with the Adium folks as well -- who
went off and invented their own XML-based schema for storing chat
transcripts when people using that app are actually watching a WebKit
window scroll HTML content. Why did they do that? According to them,
XML is easier to parse. Why is a "whatever" argument.

Because in the case of text-based data storage mechanisms, XHTML will
have reuse potential that you're not going to get with some one-off
format.

If you want to use a real database backend, great. Go for it. But if
you're going to be storing simple data in a text format that will
inevitably be more valuable when viewed in a browser, I think
microformats become incredibly powerful and useful, especially when
you asynchronous access to data that ultimately needs to be displayed
and manipulated by humans.

Chris