[uf-discuss] Re: Flock + Microformats

Edward Summers ehs at pobox.com
Fri Sep 15 07:28:50 PDT 2006

On Sep 14, 2006, at 9:15 PM, Ian McKellar wrote:
> I believe in standards or conventions for communications between
> applications, but the idea that you should repurpose publishing
> formats as the internal representation of data for applications is
> foolish.

Pretty misguided yeah. Even in Chris' Adium example there would
presumably be some sort of indexing strategy to support search
(spotlight store or what have you). Still, using HTML to represent
the actual transcript isn't such a bad idea. Variable hierarchical
data (like HTML) is often kinda gnarly to model (completely) in
relational databases.

> Ian (who is actually working on an interesting microformats + indexing
> + atom + opensearch side-project, which ironically will use
> microformats as its internal data format)

So this does sound interesting. Can you provide any more details?

//Ed