[uf-discuss] 'currency' microformat straw-man proposal.

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Wed Sep 20 16:07:56 PDT 2006

In message <CECA66E5-343A-482F-B73A-5164ACE8BDF0 at randomchaos.com>, Scott
Reynen <scott at randomchaos.com> writes

>On Sep 20, 2006, at 4:18 PM, Andy Mabbett wrote:
>
>>> <abbr class="currency" title="USD">
>>> </abbr>
>>>
>>> Isn't this suggesting that "42.67" is an abbreviation for "USD"?
>>
>> I've commented before that microformats already "misuse" <abbr> in
>>this
>> way.
>
>Where is that?  I don't remember seeing anything like this, where one
>piece of information is declared as abbreviation for another and
>they're not even the same kind of information.

I may be a similar discussion; sorry.

>When the data is on the page, this seems like an ideal use of the
>include pattern:
>
><http://microformats.org/wiki/include-pattern>
>
>Specifically, something like this:

>[...]
>       <a class="include" href="#usd"></a>

An empty anchor tag? Is that semantically meaningful? It's certainly
something I'd usually avoid using,

>When the data is not on the page at all, I'd say that's out of scope
>for microformats.

I now that's the received wisdom here; I don't agree that it's always
the case, but this isn't the thread for that debate.
--
Andy Mabbett
                Say "NO!" to compulsory ID Cards:  <http://www.no2id.net/>

                Free Our Data:  <http://www.freeourdata.org.uk>