[uf-discuss] Use of <abbr> (also <object>) and Accessibility

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Thu Sep 21 17:07:08 PDT 2006

In message <C138691F.7B722%tantek at cs.stanford.edu>, Tantek Çelik
<tantek at cs.stanford.edu> writes

>>>         <ttp://www.accessifyforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6167>
>>>
>>> also an interesting take on the non-use of <object>.
>>
>> I'm a little confused reading through that: The debate about whether
>> the use of ABBR is fine and well, I follow that, but maybe I came too
>> late the Microformats community to understand the references to OBJECT.

>> In general, the _theoretical_ ABBR discussion is well based, datetime
>> is a new use and perhaps it stretches the element too farŠ maybe not.
>
>The only objectionable examples listed in that accessify thread
>represent edge cases, rather than the common case.

In what way are they edge cases? They're very real examples, taken from
the Wiki.

>  It's (I hate to say this, but typical) reasoning by edge case rather
>than reasoning by 80% case.

Well, they'll certainly both be more than 80% of *my* use of those
formats.

It's very easy for you to dismiss such things as "edge cases"; but not
very convincing.

>> The thing is though, people love to talk their interpretation of
>> the semantics and expected behaviours but I'm yet to see anyone with
>> access to assistive technology produce examples to demonstrate
>> problems (or otherwise).
>
>A very good point Ben.

Indeed - which is why I've gone to the people who use them, to ask for
concrete examples.

>So far the critics have only been chicken-littling which we should all
>have very little patience for.

I believe that "chicken-littling" is an Americanism meaning "scare
mongering". If so, who is doing that?
--
Andy Mabbett
                Say "NO!" to compulsory ID Cards:  <http://www.no2id.net/>