[uf-discuss] Proposal: species

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Fri Sep 22 12:46:23 PDT 2006

On 9/22/06 12:24 PM, "Andy Mabbett" <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:

> In message <2DBDC816-224E-4E48-BDB5-AE69752382D9 at technorati.com>, Ryan
> King <ryan at technorati.com> writes
>
>> On Sep 21, 2006, at 5:25 PM, Andy Mabbett wrote:
>>> Shall I take everyone's silence as complete agreement? ;-)
>>
>> No. :-P
>
> So, are you going to tell us which bit(s) you disagree with, or is it a
> secret?

I think the point is that silence != agreement nor disagreement.

Silence = disinterest, which is actually worse than disagreement.

The point of any standard is to interoperate between multiple interested
parties.  If there is only one party, no need for a standard (i.e.
microformat).  Instead, just experiment with semantic XHTML and semantic
class names, document your experiments and see if more interest shows up in
the future.

This is something we deliberately recognize with microformats, and try to
solve 80/20 type problems, where there is already a lot of interest in
publishing and sharing information of the particular type on the Web.  There
is obviously a very wide spectrum of interest in types of data, but we
prioritize those at the 80/20 heavy-use side of the spectrum (hence people,
companies, events, reviews, citations etc.) while allowing/encouraging
research of more esoteric or less frequently used/published data types
(species, moon/mars geolocations) on the Web.

Thanks,

Tantek