[uf-discuss] Proposal: species

Gazza gazza at garyjones.co.uk
Sat Sep 23 09:42:19 PDT 2006

Andy Mabbett mumbled the following on 23/09/2006 17:25:
> In message <$Rd1NrpGbUFFFwgo at pigsonthewing.org.uk>, Andy Mabbett
> <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk> writes
>
>>> the usefulness of a supporting uF may be questionable.
>
> P.S.
>
> Oh, that really is a joke. How on earth do you think garden centre
> functions?

I have no idea - uF are concerned with webpages, so you're real life
example is going off track.

However as you seemingly want to go down this route, you have yet again
highlighted an example where knowing a genus and species is only of use
to those select few people (relative to the world) who work in a garden
centre or who have a keen interest in horticulture.

Even taking a genus such as Chrysanthemum, this is also its vernacular
name, so knowing there are ~30 species of chrysanthemum is of little
relevance to those not in the above groups, and certainly does not fall
within the 80/20 concept.

I can't see how you can compare the usage that this knowledge presents
to that of the usage of dates, currency, events, people, etc.

--
Regards,
Gazza