[uf-discuss] Tentative proposal for "What's New" listings

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Tue Sep 26 00:58:24 PDT 2006

In message
<6991f8e00609251649t3dfc8576ib90324552b0d1495 at mail.gmail.com>, Stephen
Paul Weber <singpolyma at gmail.com> writes

>For the first item, it didn't help that your page was not quite valid
>however I think I have fixed it now anyway and got around that :)

I'd closed an "<a>" twice. Fixed, to now, though.

I wonder why no-on has written an FTP client, with an HTML validator
built in...

>The url must have the xn_auth=no in it (ning hosting), but I have
>removed the stupid submit=Go, the feed validator seems to be accepting
>it fine.

I'm getting errors for both feeds, on the validator. Using:

        (aka <http://tinyurl.com/mrbf4>)

        This feed does not validate.

        line 121, column 66: guid values must not be duplicated within a
        feed: http://www.westmidlandbirdclub.com/ladywalk/latest.htm (19

        In addition, this feed has issues that may cause problems for
        some users. We recommend fixing these issues.

        line 245, column 44: title should not contain HTML: &quot; (6
          Friends&amp;quot; section of our links page.

        line 389, column 3: item should contain a guid element

and for:

I get:

        This feed is valid, but may cause problems for some users. We
        recommend fixing these problems.

        line 17, column 3: item should contain a guid element (38

        line 74, column 17: description should not contain relative URL
        references: ../biblio/BirdLife/1983-0506-42.htm" rel="bookmark"
        title="letter in Bird Life magazine

        line 100, column 46: Implausible date: Wed, 31 Dec 1969 23:59:59
        +0000 (8 occurrences)

>The second page seems to be coming through fine now as well.

I'm still getting just the one date (in  FireFox's live bookmarks) and
an XML Parse error (in Sage).

>According to my understanding of hAtom, the title of the <abbr> tag in
>your page is the date and the contents is the title, which is how the
>processor treats it.

>From source code (simplified):

        <abbr class="updated entry-title" title="2006-09-20">20th</abbr>

You're serving:

        <title>20th:  </title>

        <pubDate>Tue, 26 Sep 2006 20:00:00 +0000</pubDate>

(note also trailing space in title)

I would expect

        <pubDate>Tue, 26 Sep 2006 20:00:00 +0000</pubDate>

>Also, last time I checked RSS 2.0 required a full datestamp in that
>format for pubDate... nothing else should be legal

That's annoying. If true, we should recognise that in the hAtom spec.

>let me know if there's any other issues :)

Oh, I will!

Speaking of which...

You seem to be inserting an odd character, for instance in the first
item on the "What's New" page (shown here as an asterisk):

        <title>Recent  sightings at our*Ladywalk Reserve.</title>

which shows up as a square in live bookmarks.

Thanks for your interest.

Andy Mabbett
                Say "NO!" to compulsory ID Cards:  <http://www.no2id.net/>

                Free Our Data:  <http://www.freeourdata.org.uk>