[uf-discuss] hidden microformats

Ben Ward lists at ben-ward.co.uk
Thu Sep 28 01:58:04 PDT 2006

On 28 Sep 2006, at 01:15, Paolo Negri wrote:
> On some pages I have all the infos about these items and I can produce
> very complete uformats. On other pages I render let's say just the
> name and the email of someone and it doesn't make sense to provide a
> less complete hcard than in a different page, and I absolutely can't
> add the extra information (address, role) as visible.

Perhaps the better solution for this would be to revive (and perhaps
conclude) the ‘linking to a definitive microformat’ idea which has
popped up every so often. In short, provide a rel value to contain
within an hCard or hEvent which links to the page with the full
information. Parsers are then instructed to follow that link where
appropriate to get complete information.

That's still a work-in-progress though, so my advice for now is that
as Ernie Prabhaker says, there's nothing wrong with having smaller,
less complete hEvents, they're still valid microformats. For now,
just make sure you're linking to the full page from them and if in
the near future a suitable rel value is designed to parse those
links, you can add it in with no destruction or reworking required in
your application.

Ben