[uf-discuss] copy-and-paste metadata prior art?

Bruce D'Arcus bdarcus.lists at gmail.com
Sat Sep 30 09:51:34 PDT 2006

On 9/30/06, Charles Iliya Krempeaux <supercanadian at gmail.com> wrote:

> In Firefox, when I copy and paste text from other web pages to the
> GMail compose Windows all the HTML markup get copied to.  (The HTML
> markup would be metadata.)

Hmm .. interesting definitional questions about data vs. metadata.
When GMail received that content, does it know how to extract the
metadata? Or it essentially just a dumb past operation?

FYI, the patent application has this as the primary claim (there are
about 40 of them though):

===
1. A machine-implemented method comprising: receiving a command to
copy or cut data from a source; in response to receiving the command
to copy or cut the data, automatically collecting citation information
associated with the data; and copying the data and the citation
information into a copy buffer.
===

Bruce