[uf-discuss] Microformat bake-fest

Terrell Russell terrellrussell at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 07:33:51 PDT 2007

Absalom Media wrote:
> I've been doing the codebase work for the 1.0.x build and been hugely
> successful. The one thing I still need to figure out is why should I use
>  stuff like RDF/eRDF and MicroID, which are not really microformats.
> What benefits do they provide alongside microformats ?

MicroID itself is deployed for the sole purpose of giving third parties
the ability to verify that a particular user of your system (in this
case, any Joomla deployment) is the same user as a user on a different
system.

Using a hash of the identifier (most commonly email at this point) and
the URL in question (usually the user's 'profile' page on your
deployment), a third party can confirm that the hash is identical.

One other concern to be addressed is whether/how the users should decide
if a MicroID should be published on their profile.  Consider giving the
administrator a toggle for the 'default' (to publish or not).

Thanks,

Terrell
http://claimID.com