[uf-discuss] changing abbr-design-pattern to title-design-pattern?

James Craig jcraig at apple.com
Sat Apr 28 23:02:55 PDT 2007

Jeremy Keith wrote:

> James Craig wrote:
>> Due to opening up the pattern a bit more, there will also need to
>> be a flag to indicate when to use title attribute versus contents.
>> Something like this "useTitle" class:
>
> No, this smells like a really bad idea. That class is now an
> instruction for machines.

Fair enough. Retracted. I would however recommend limiting the very
specific classes so that it's not abused to hide data other than
specifically machine readable info like the ISO dates and Geo coords.

For the record, I believe the machine-readable RFC type vales (home,
work, cell, fax, etc.) also fall into this category, mainly for the
sake of i18n. The spec now forces them to be visible, yet it does not
make sense to force English words to be visible on pages in other
languages. Hence the example:

<abbr class="type" title="home" xml:lang="es">Casa</abbr>

James