[uf-discuss] inappropriate behaviour (was: Discussion of public domain declaration template usage)

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Wed Aug 1 12:02:32 PDT 2007

In message <sTsRdnHwr9pGFwfF at pigsonthewing.org.uk>, Andy Mabbett
<andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk> writes

>>Frankly Andy, due to your use of the {{subst}} method, you have now added
>>additional time cost to determining if any page *you* edit in particular is
>>consistently in the public domain or not with respect to all other public
>>domain contributors.
>
>Frankly, Tantek, that's bullshit.

I have just received an e-mail, from Frances Berriman, subject  "Warning
of inappropriate behaviour on mf-discuss", citing the above exchange of
26 July, in:

  <http://microformats.org/discuss/mail/microformats-discuss/2007-July/010261.html>

and telling me that:

        Such an outburst (sic) requires (sic) a warning that if you
        cannot contribute with respect and in an appropriate tone on the
        mailing list, you will receive a cooling off ban.

Perhaps Ms Berriman isn't familiar with British English vernacular
(which would be odd, I understand she lives here), but "Rubbish,
nonsense" is in the Oxford English Dictionary, and means "rubbish,
nonsense". In any case, that was no "outburst"; but a considered and apt
description of the comment to which I was responding; and I stand by it.

Ironically, Ms Berriman also implies that I'm a - quote - "jerk". The
OED tells me that that insult refers to "Someone of little or no
account; a fool, a stupid person". Perhaps she ought to put her own
house in order.

Also of interest is the fact that Ms Berriman signs her post "on behalf
of the microformats administration". I can find no reference to such an
organisation on the wiki or mailing list. Maybe I've missed something?

Once again, there is the impression that microformats fora are being run
by an unelected cabal, using arbitrary, personal interpretations of
vague and unwritten "rules", applied with no sense of even-handedness.
Still, I suppose that's easier than actually addressing the governance
and rights issues which I and others have raised.

--
Andy Mabbett