[uf-discuss] Microformats in Google Maps

Michael MD mdagn at spraci.com
Wed Aug 1 18:42:09 PDT 2007

> So it appears that none of the address sub-elements are being classified
> at all, just simply poured into the adr td and broken up with br's.
>
> To be parsed they should be wrapped in classified elements like the

I'm not surprised at all to see this kind of thing out there.

There are a lot of cases where people may have freeform text addresses and
wish to mark them up somehow...  - especially where there is a lot of
user-entered or legacy data (Google would have plenty of both!)

There are no reliable automated means of splitting such freeform text into
the seperate elements required by hcard and to expect everyone to manually
re-enter everything is definately asking too much!

Freeform text addresses might not be good for conversion to hcard/vcard but
can still be very useful to humans!
- it seems obvious to me that people out there (regardless of what anyone
says) will try to stick them in adr somehow!

Perhaps we do need some way to mark up such addresses so that there could be
export tools that give the user options to split them?