[uf-discuss] dfn design pattern (proposal)

James Craig jcraig at apple.com
Mon Aug 20 18:57:21 PDT 2007

Michael MD wrote:

>> --- just a quick FYI, this would be an incorrect implementation. The
>> appearance or the absence of the TITLE attribute does not control the
>> parsing, it is the semantics of the property and the element.
>
> I guess I wasn't very clear.

No, you were clear.

> I was talking specifically about things like dtstart and dtend in
> hcalendar.
>
> My scripts do not require the title attribute to be present, but if
> it is
> there it will look at its contents for the value.

That is an incorrect implementation according to the current spec. I
hope that the current spec will be changed at some point (I voice my
disapproval of the abbr-design-pattern frequently), but according to
the current spec, this behavior should ONLY be present on the abbr
element.

James