[uf-discuss] uF's on stand-alone phone numbers.

André Luís andr3.pt at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 09:14:43 PDT 2007

I know it's not a microformat/nanoformat per se, and it's a technique
for mobile web, maybe it's interesting for the discussion at hand:

-----------------------------
[Turn telephone numbers into links that start a phone call]

Practice: There are two ways to implement one-click phone calls:
or

While modern devices support both syntaxes, neither is guaranteed to
work on all phones. In addition, some older device do not support
one-click calls at all.
Authors who rely on LCD can choose one or the other. Adaptation may be
used to cover all devices and just present the telephone number to
devices that do not support one-click calls.
from: http://www.passani.it/gap/#STILL_A_PHONE

What are the downsides you foresee in using this approach to markup a
telephone number for (desktop) websites/apps?

Thank you,
André Luís