[uf-discuss] Geo precision (was: hCard multiple locations)

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Sat Aug 25 02:28:36 PDT 2007

In message
<73766b160708241616j7a13fc7bnde57e741041e07b9 at mail.gmail.com>, Kevin
Marks <kevinmarks at gmail.com> writes

 >The longitude and latitude values MUST be specified as decimal degrees
 >and should be specified to six decimal places.

That's interesting; it's clearly not suitable when giving the
coordinates for very large sites like a county or a park, where
precision to 1 metre is unwarranted; nor for giving very precise
coordinates for, say, the location of the camera taking a picture of a
single flower or insect. It's certainly not what's used in practice.

Perhaps the Geo spec, and those of the other microformats which use it,
should allow fewer or more decimal places, and require parsers to
convert to six places when exporting as a vCard? Or perhaps a revision
to the vCard spec is required?

The spec does, though, emphasise the points I've always made; the number
of decimal place for latitude and longitude should be equal; and
trailing zeroes are significant.

--
Andy Mabbett