[uf-discuss] Geo precision

Farndon, Tony tony.farndon at forestry.gsi.gov.uk
Mon Aug 27 04:16:48 PDT 2007

I have noticed Precision and Accuracy being mentioned in the same
context but I believe the two are not the same.

Accuracy (to me) is how close a point is located to it's actual real
earth location - getting the lat/lng of your house when using a map that
is zoomed to country level will not be as ACCURATE as getting the
lat/lng when the map is zoomed right into street level.

Precision (to me) is the scale at which you are trying to locate -
putting the coordiantes of New York is a PRECISION of city level, and
you could find many people using slightly different coordinates for New
York, but they are all _precise_ for that city.

My 2p.

Tony

+++++ The Forestry Commission's computer systems may be monitored and communications carried out on them recorded, to secure the effective operation of the system and for other lawful purposes. +++++

The original of this email was scanned for viruses by the Government Secure Intranet (GSi) virus scanning service supplied exclusively by Cable & Wireless in partnership with MessageLabs.

On leaving the GSi this email was certified virus-free