[uf-discuss] Jeremy's inline friend link pattern

Jeremy Keith jeremy at adactio.com
Thu Dec 6 02:46:10 PST 2007

Paul Wilkins wrote:
> It remains to be asked then, where is the citation?
> The contents of the CITE element contains the object being cited, so
> where is the subject?
> You cannot have a citation without a subject.
>
> How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?!

But that's not what the spec says at all, as far as I can see. Your
interpretation is that you can only use the CITE element if you are
citing something *from* a resource (book/film/person, etc.). But I
can't find any mention of that in the spec. As far as I can see, the
CITE element can (and should) be used when you are *referencing* a
resource (book/film/person, etc.) regardless of what the surrounding
context is.

So in HTML I could say:

my dear, I don't give a damn</q>.

But I could equally say:

<cite>Gone With The Wind</cite> is a film.

Or even:

<cite>Gone With The Wind</cite>

You seem to be suggesting that only the first example is the correct
use of the CITE element. That's not the case. All three are fine.

You ask "where is the citation?" That's what the BLOCKQUOTE and Q
elements are for. The CITE element is not supposed to be used for
citations, it is used for references. That would be a lot clearer if
the element were named REFERENCE instead of CITE. I think that, like
the ADDRESS element, it is the confusing name choice for the element
that it is leading to a lot of misunderstanding.

The CITE element is not a CITATION element.

Bye,

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Keith