[uf-discuss] Re: Jeremy's inline friend link pattern

Toby A Inkster mail at tobyinkster.co.uk
Thu Dec 6 08:11:31 PST 2007

Jeremy Keith wrote:

> As far as I can see, the CITE element can (and should) be used when you
> are *referencing* a resource (book/film/person, etc.) regardless of what
> the surrounding context is.
>
> So in HTML I could say:
> dear, I don't give a damn</q>.
>
> But I could equally say:
> <cite>Gone With The Wind</cite> is a film.
>
> Or even:
> <cite>Gone With The Wind</cite>

I think you're taking the meaning of "referencing" a bit too far -- taking
it to mean "mentioning", whereas I think the intention of the HTML spec is
that it means "including as a reference", which is a somewhat narrower
meaning.

If your interpretation is right, then it would be equally correct to write:

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
[OS: Linux 2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-9mdvsmp, up 11 days, 22:58.]

                      Sharing Music with Apple iTunes
          http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2007/11/28/itunes-sharing/