[uf-discuss] Re: Jeremy's inline friend link pattern

Jeremy Keith jeremy at adactio.com
Thu Dec 6 10:20:39 PST 2007

Toby wrote:
> If your interpretation is right, then it would be equally correct
> to write:

That's right. And in some situations, like a food blog, that would be
good usage.

It all depends on the individual case of course. But yes, just about
any noun could potentially be marked up with the CITE element. That
doesn't mean that every noun *should* be marked up with the CITE
element: the author still needs to exercise judgement. But it is not
wrong to mark up a book, film, thing or person with the CITE
element... which is what the original question was all about.

Given the choice between:

tantek.com/">Tantek Çelik</a></span>

and

<cite class="vcard"><a class="fn url" http="http://
tantek.com/">Tantek Çelik</a></cite>

...the second option has a little bit more semantic richness. Neither
is incorrect though.

In the use case which originally kicked off this discussion,
mentioning someone in the course of a blog post is most definitely
referencing them (even if I'm not quoting from them).

Bye,

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Keith